[vlc-devel] Build instructions for MacOS X?

Andre-John Mas ajmas at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 5 11:37:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am in the process of attempting my first build of VLC on MacOS X,
using the 1.0.0-rc2 tarball, and I am attempting to follow the
instructions here:

  http://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile

I have MacPorts installed, so to 'disable' it I typed in my bash shell
(BTW it would be worth mentioning this in the Wiki):

  export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

followed by:

  # Build the third party libraries
  cd extras/contrib
  ./bootstrap
  make

at this point I am getting a failure:

  contrib ajmas$ make
  /usr/bin/curl -L -O ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/testing/contrib/contrib-macosx-i386-1.0.tar.bz2

  curl: (56) FTP response reading failed
  make: *** [contrib-macosx-i386-1.0.tar.bz2] Error 56

Trying to manually access the ftp server I get:

  Ghostwalker2:contrib ajmas$ ftp ftp.videolan.org
  Connected to ganesh.videolan.org.
  421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

Is something broken?

BTW Once I have successfully built VLC on MacOS X, I would like to add
some quick-build instructions to the Wiki page, which people could
just copy and paste into their shell, though I'll have to get someone
else to add this, since I don't seem to have the necessary permissions
to update the page.

André-John