[vlc-devel] 64bit-Intel version of VLC for the Mac
fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:18:26 CEST 2009
as some of you have noticed, VLC's 64bit version on the Mac got some
edits in the last few days and now it is ready for you guys to have a
look. It will run on Mac OS X 10.5.7 and any later release.
Please note a couple of things:
- If you are using Mac OS X 10.5.x, it will crash on quit. This isn't
our fault. It is already fixed by the respective folks.
- The "Quartztext" text renderer is incompatible with Apple's 64bit
API. Therefore, VLC will fallback on freetype.
- On 10.5.x, it might crash from time to time when browsing your files
using the Open File Dialog. Again, this isn't VLC's fault.
- A PPC64 port isn't planned at this point.
- Support for SDL and Goom2k4 is disabled in this build, as the
respective libraries aren't 64bit compatible. The SDL folks are
working on it, though.
- The Mozilla/Safari webplugin uses an outdated, 64bit-incompatible
subset of our OpenGL vout (using a whole lot of QuickDraw, which is
deprecated since Mac OS X 10.3). Therefore, this plugin isn't and
won't be provided for now.
- This build isn't exactly RC3, but a snapshot of the currently latest revision.
Have fun with this build and report any issues you encounter. A
current precompiled contrib package is also available.
More information about the vlc-devel