[vlc-devel] commit: libvlc: Abort in case of unhandled exception. (Pierre d'Herbemont )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Wed Jun 24 17:43:44 CEST 2009

2009/6/24 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:14:23 +0200, Sébastien Escudier
> <sebastien-devel at celeos.eu> wrote:
>> Quoting git version control <git at videolan.org>:
>>
>>> vlc | branch: master | Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr> | Tue
>> Jun 23
>>> 22:03:57 2009 -0700| [dfa5d0bac97b05b83ba493ecf5516c1af1fc0e72] |
>> committer:
>>> Pierre d'Herbemont
>>>
>>> libvlc: Abort in case of unhandled exception.
>>
>> Why ?
>> exceptions are not always critical, and vlc can still run ok after an
>> exception.
>> So if the user choose not to handle some of them, I don't think we should
>> abort.
>
> +1.
> Also many functions return error codes anyway, so the caller may be
> handling the error even without a dummy exception parameter. Really, this
> exception thing might be cool to interface with higher-level languages, but
> it just sucks for native applications.

Point taken.

I am not keen with this C exception stuff, it renders every C call
painfull and add an extra line, in which most of the time we don't do
any error handling.

I have added this because I don't want to miss any error of this sort
in the test for now.

I am planning to add a way to override the default exception not
handled handler. That would let us to do whatever we want with not
handled exception.

Pierre.