[vlc-devel] Is AAC support enabled in VLC 1.0.0-rc4 ffmpeg (MacOS X)?

Andre-John Mas ajmas at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 25 20:30:19 CEST 2009

That is certainly an issue and makes encoding to MPEG4 a little
awkward, since it means using an audio codec that is not necessarily
supported by other players. I am not sure how I would sort this out.
It should be noted that this introduces a usability issue, in that the
user can select AAC as an audio to encode to, but it will fail in all
cases.

I am not blaming you for the situation, since your hands are bound. In
fact IMHO the blame goes to the people making a standards based video
format that is patent encumbered.

The only solution I can think of in the short term is to be able to
specify the path to an alternative ffmpeg binary that the user may
have compiled, such as via MacPorts or fink.

Andre