[vlc-devel] commit: Remove enums from public APIs ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jun 29 19:37:28 CEST 2009

Le lundi 29 juin 2009 20:29:14 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez écrit :
> Note, we have to remove enum because C is not ABI safe, both cases are
> hacks.

The compiler can choose any integer type of sufficient size to represent an
enum. If we are solely concerned about future proofing w.r.t. the C calling
convention, then we can revert this commit, set a dummy maximum value of any
enum to, say 32767 (the minimum legal value for INT_MAX), and be done with it.
I think that would be much better than your hackish proposal.

http://www.remlab.net/