[vlc-devel] libvlc_video_take_snapshot doesn't release lock on snapshot file?

basos g noxelia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 16:33:28 CET 2009

2009/3/1 Rémi Denis-Courmont <rem at videolan.org>:
> Le dimanche 1 mars 2009 12:28:10 Jonathan Wong, vous avez écrit :
>> Seems the file lock isn't released. Is this correct?
>
> To the best of my knowledge, it does not take a lock on the file at all.
>
> --
> Rémi Denis-Courmont
> http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary

I have a patch (not posted yet) that uses vout->state_lock at the
snapshot cb. Snapshot taking code is already inside that lock.

I have another idea, though.
Vout has some timing issues that i haven't discussed yet on the list.
But the main concept is to keep render latency low. On this base i
think snapshot taking code should run on another thread. I propose
input thread. That would not put *asynchronous* snapshot burden on the
vout loop( which , with the current impementation, is very sensitive
to latency issues) and could become more problematic when taking many
snapshots. Some "late picture skipped" messages are common after a
snapshot is taken.

So if there are not any reasons againts i can start working on this
implementation.