[vlc-devel] Core input code race condition

xxcv xxcv07 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 08:08:48 CET 2009

Hi

I've reported this bug through trac since it is down ATM.

However, I did try this on 2 machines with success, instead of having
courmisch setting keyword to
unreproducible, I am asking here if anybody else can re-produce this bug.
Reproducible on XP and Vista.

Anyway I'm going to describe again about this bug, which exists on
vlc.git/master and
not 0.9-bugfix.

Here is how-to re-produce the race condition bug,
1, add a few audio or video files (prefer video because race condition
appears faster)
    Also prefer to pick different resolution video files as this way
resets vout in between items.
2, after adding few files to playlist, start playback then keep on
pressing "N" every second.
3, if successfully trigged the race condition input* will be locked
vlc.exe will need to be forced
    to end process (through task manager) although qt4 interface doesn't
hang.
    If you do trigger this bug please specify your o/s version.

It seems input thread lock the wrong vout, aout.
This bug doesn't trigger a crash it only stop the decoding and refuse to
create or destroy input.
It displays first video frame then stalls there, pressing any control
buttons through qt4
interface produce debug message "dying input".

Please reply to this post if you can re-produce this bug.

Regards.