[vlc-devel] commit: Hopefully thread-safer replacement for intf_UserFatal ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Mar 6 09:19:41 CET 2009

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 22:34:00 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
>> > Are we going to have one callback for each dialog?
>> I prefer that. It avoids using a fat vout_thread-style structure with
>> countless parameters and no clear semantics.
>
>  From a GUI PoV, I find that a bit boring, but I'll deal with it. Doing
>  that is a bit the opposite to what we did for input...

Multiplexing on a structure type or on a function call only makes sense if
there is commonality, or if serialization is required.

I don't see much commonality between a fire-and-forget fatal error message,
and a progress bar...
On the other hand, I do see commonality between a modal fatal error, and a
non-modal fatal error, so if/when we implement modal errors in the new
framework, it would possibly make sense to re-use the same struct and/or
callback.