[vlc-devel] [RFC] show in Qt4 if stream is scrambled/encrypted

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Mar 6 11:36:09 CET 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:04:22 +0100, <jean-paul.saman at planet.nl> wrote:
> This patch sends a flag for use by user interfaces which can then
indicate
> if the source stream is encrypted/scrambled. It is a usability
improvement
> requested by multiple users. The first usage is by the ts demuxer to
> indicate that a stream is CSA scrambled. Since this patch also touches
vlc
> core I would like fenrir to have a look at this approach.

First, people are used to a lock to mean "secure" which is not at all the
same as encrypted. CSA is broadcast encryption - that provides absolutely
no security to the receiver. So we need to have something clearly different
from the browsers SSL lock.

Second, I think we need to implement this in every cases, or not at all.
Otherwise it may be confusing. And CSA is _not_ the only form of encryption
we have. We also have TLS, SRTP (and CSS, nah just joking) for those I
know.