[vlc-devel] Bug in HTTP access module

Ilkka Ollakka ilkka.ollakka+vlc at oamk.fi
Fri Mar 6 14:29:48 CET 2009

On pe  6. maaliskuuta 2009 14.21.38, jpd at m2x.nl wrote:

> That poses the question whether a partial answer (when marked as such?)
> is a bug even if vlc did ask for the whole answer. This probably merits
> looking at the spec. If the standard does not forbid it then vlc perhaps
> should deal with the situation properly.

 If request/answer is http/1.1 and is answered with 206 return code
 and correct range, vlc handles it ok (atleast what I've tested). Any
 other case on serverside is invalid (eg not http/1.1 and/or not 206
 and/or not range-header).

> For one, why does it more http requests than others? What causes it and
> what can be done to alleviate that?

 Some muxers needs seek, eg progressive-download filter could somewhat
 ease the need of http requests.

> For another, does vlc support http keep-alive and if not, how hard would
> it be to implement such a thing?

In theory it does, but on practise when http-access gets seek command,
it disconnects connection and starts a new one.

--
Ilkka Ollakka
Main's Law: