[vlc-devel] How to write a encoder/decoder plugin for VLC?

Alex Lee alex.q.lee at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 14:59:11 CET 2009

Hi Remi,

Sorry for late response. [?]

I saw some documents on videolan.org and find this in the following address:

http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Hacker%27s_Guide/Core

"Presentation Time Stamps located in the system layer of the
stream are passed to the decoders, and all resulting samples are
dated accordingly. The output layers are supposed to play them at
the right time. Dates are converted to microseconds ; an absolute
date is the number of microseconds since Epoch (Jan 1st, 1970).
The mtime_t type is a signed 64-bit integer. "

Do you know how to comute PTS value? I see this modules/codec/theora.c :

    p_sys->i_pts += ( INT64_C(1000000) * p_sys->ti.fps_denominator /
                      p_sys->ti.fps_numerator ); /* 1 frame per packet */

But what PTS should be for variable frame rate stream?

Thanks,
Alex