[vlc-devel] libiconv

Son Tran son.minh.tran at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 09:53:28 CET 2009

Dear Rémi Denis-Courmont,

Le 18 mars 2009 17:06, Rémi Denis-Courmont <rem at videolan.org> a écrit :

> VLC does not need GNU libiconv. It can use any iconv() that the system
> provides (it is a mandatory part of the POSIX specification).
>
> --

In fact, I create a module for vlc, therefore it needs to be linked again
libvlccore. When libvlccore was compiled in certain linux enviroment (I lost
that enviroment), my  module deployed in other system does not need the
libiconv of gnu. Now when I compile libvlccore in a kubuntus enviroment
having libiconv among the contribution, my module needs the libiconv.
When I try to uninstall libiconv, also remove the header iconv.h (or
libiconv.h ?: you wrote that iconv is a mandatory of POSIX then I wonder
whether I remove iconv.h or libiconv.h) in the /usr/include, then I can no
longer compile libvlccore.
Would you please show me in detail how to compile libvlccore using the iconv
provided by the system as default?
Many thanks
Son