[vlc-devel] vlc: Windows install and GPL dialog box - unfortunate "I agree" button

xxcv xxcv07 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 02:37:45 CET 2009

Jari Aalto wrote:
> ""=?iso-8859-1?q?R=E9mi?=" Denis-Courmont" <rem at videolan.org> writes:
>

>> 	Moi,
>>
>> Le Friday 27 March 2009 16:43:35 Jari Aalto, vous avez écrit :
>>
>>> At install phase under Windows, the GPL dialog box contains button
>>>
>>>     "I agree"
>>>
>>> The opposite would be "I disagree", but both "Agree" and "disagree" pose
>>> a problem because GPL does not need to agreed on or diagreed on in order
>>> to be able to run the software.
>>>
>>> In this regard GPL is not EULA[1][2], which, must be agreed/disagreed.
>>>
>> We need to present the disclaimer of warranty... which is part of the license.
>> We don't want to end up being sued for breaking someone's else computer.
>>

> Please read my post. The dialog can be presented, it's the button text
> that needs change. Simply make it say:
>
>     [Next]
>
> Instead of:
>
>     [I agree]

I think a point of showing the GPL license is to let the users SEE and
AGREE to it
then he/she can start using the software otherwise what's the point of GPL?

I disagree with you here [Next] button actually have no meaning at all
what so ever...
So if you wanna use VLC you'd better AGREE ... and ... acknowledge.

Regards.