[vlc-devel] Contribs, PIC and x86_64

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Mon May 4 12:03:48 CEST 2009

I'm currently working on my Linux x86_64 system to build a few libraries
from the contribs (that are not provided by/too old in my distribution).
The problem is that they are not compiled as PIC, and then linking
the vlc modules against them throws "relocation R_X86_64_PC32" errors
(whereas the same works fine for me on x86_32).

Since it looks like a pretty specific issue, and I'm pretty clueless
about it, I'm going to ask: do we want PIC code? On what platforms? What
config flag can/should I use to fix it?

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."