[vlc-devel] Chroma-key plugin for VLC as class broadcast client

jpd at m2x.nl jpd at m2x.nl
Mon May 4 12:52:24 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 12:17, R\xc3\xa9mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2009 10:30:26 +0200 (CEST), jpd at m2x.nl wrote:
> Err, it *is* mostly a VLC limitation at this point.

If you choose to go the (obvious) output-with-alpha route, which somehow
completely escaped me this morning. Possibly because the problem I'm
currently working on doesn't allow for that approach, at least AFAICS.

> Sure, you need a modern X server or Windows/OSX equivalent, but that's
> already written, available and widely deployed.

The actual hardware support is still problematic, especially in the
free software world. I'm not sure about XP alpha support either.

Still, if the goal is to create a single output stream, such hardware
can indeed safely be assumed for discussing the stream generator.

> It gets trickier if you consider that certain outputs simply cannot do
> that. I guess GLX and X11 can, but XVideo cannot?

Since the X11 core protocol has no alpha support, it takes an
XRender-aware WM and that likely implies compositing, which breaks
XVideo too, so I don't think it's worth worrying about that.