[vlc-devel] [LATTE] Privacy, what might that mean?

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue May 12 18:36:51 CEST 2009

	Hello,

I realized today that VLC sends complete media locations to search engines via
the meta stuff. Sorry for the rudeness but...
__        ___   _    _  _____   _____ _   _ _____   _____ _   _  ____ _  __
\ \      / / | | |  / \|_   _| |_   _| | | | ____| |  ___| | | |/ ___| |/ /
 \ \ /\ / /| |_| | / _ \ | |     | | | |_| |  _|   | |_  | | | | |   | ' /
  \ V  V / |  _  |/ ___ \| |     | | |  _  | |___  |  _| | |_| | |___| . \
   \_/\_/  |_| |_/_/   \_\_|     |_| |_| |_|_____| |_|    \___/ \____|_|\_\

Do I need to remind someone that the piece of software known as VLC media
player is a fun but _serious_ development project used by millions?

Parsing all kind of harmful parameters from HTTP playlists was silly. Fetching
software updates without any security checks was reckless (IIRC, Mozilla did
the same mistake).

But, come on! That beats everything. How can someone write code without even
remotely THINKING about CONSEQUENCES? This is not a computer security problem,
this is common sense.

Needless to say, I am very pissed off, as one of many victimized users.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary