[vlc-devel] [RFC] immediate removal of media list

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed May 13 08:39:19 CEST 2009

On Tue, 12 May 2009 16:52:10 -0700, "Pierre d'Herbemont"
<pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:
> Yet, I know that you especially dislike that API. Which is from what I
> know the only sane interface possible. (Compared to the old
> libvlc_playlist_* stuff).

And? People understood playlist. Not even I understand the media list
stuff. I couldn't even figure what the locking scheme was (well, actually I
figured out it was broken)... what about normal LibVLC programmers?

Besides, the playlist should be managed directly by the application, not by
libvlc. Then, we anyway need to keep the playlist API around so that VLC
itself will work.

And last, it is reproducing the exact same mistakes than the core playlist
has. Namely it mixes up flat and tree view. In the core, this made sense
because we can have two interface at the same time, one using flat view,
one using tree view. In LibVLC, there is no such problem.

> Please make your points soon against it, as there is no use to keep a
> creepy API around for 1.0, as we'll have to deprecate it. Anyway, we
> should do an API review before 1.0.

It is broken. It is complicated. It is mostly useless: nobody uses it,
otherwise they'd have noticed how broken it was anyway).

In real life, people simply re-implement their own much simpler playlist
scheme on top of the media player.