[vlc-devel] Video processing APIs

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue May 19 00:03:24 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:27:02PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Slightly up the stack, it is just as messy with those challengers:
>  - VA-API (Intel)
>  - VDPAU (NVidia)
>  - Xvideo BA (AMD/ATI)
>  - DirectX VA (Microsoft)
>  - OpenMAX integration layer
>  - I wonder what Apple is doing?
> And of course, we still have Xvideo Motion Compensation on older hardware.

Windows states of affair seems easy: DxVA and almost everyone implements
it.

Linux is a bit more complex, but VAAPI seems to be nice, because there
is already a working VDPAU backend and a half-working XvBA backend to
it.

Apple seems to speak about OpenCL all the time, but I haven't seen a
video decoding API (except QT X, maybe) using GPU. And I doubt that they
will release one since they don't think anything else than QT should
decode video. And they are so open lately...

CuDA and OpenCL are more for video filtering, I guess...

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/