[vlc-devel] Video processing APIs

Daniel Klíma danklima at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:16:22 CEST 2009

2009/5/19 Kaarlo Räihä <agent_007 at luukku.com>:
> Andre-John Mas kirjoitti 19.05.2009 kello 02:12:

>> > Windows states of affair seems easy: DxVA and almost everyone
>> > implements
>> > it.
>
> Problem with DxVA is the limitations that make some videos undecodable.
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972503
> This isn't yet huge issue, but there already hundreds of x264 encoded videos that won't work with DxVA because they use wrong profiles/levels.

Hello.
Regarding DxVA:So long as limitation is known,it is possible to check
for it at the beginning and send it to DxVA only if it is using
supported profiles/levels.
Yes,it is limiting,but I think it should be availabale where possible.

But any of GPU acceleration technologies is going to require extra
variable and complete reordering and/or modification of proccesing
chain.

If so first implementation would be simple with no filtres sending
video stream directly to API,until better solution enabling filters
and modificators is made.

Are thoughts corret?

Daniel Klima