[vlc-devel] [VLC] #2366: realloc is generally used incorrectly

jpd at m2x.nl jpd at m2x.nl
Mon May 25 14:00:47 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:24:05PM +0200, R??mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Better _not_ look at it than put some partial obfuscating fixes like
> the other Jean-Paul just did, IMHO.

Sometimes it really is better not to crash.

> In any case, even if the ~300 buggy of the ~400 realloc() sites in
> the tree were fixed, we would still have OOM problems. And even if
> OOM problems were all fixed, VLC would still crash the browsers about
> just as often. Besides, there are underlying libraries that are not
> OOM-safe (e.g. Qt4, though not needed by the browser, but there has to
> be other ones).

I disagree with the assessment and even then it isn't a reason to
actively oppose all attempts to improve the code on principle.

> Realistically, the only pragmatic way to not crash the browser is to
> run the VLC plugin in a separate process.

Realistically, the mozilla guys do have some importance (but as they
themselves noticed, it cuts both ways), even if one doesn't like the way
they do throw their weight around, so some appeasing isn't a bad thing.

I think j-b is doing a reasonable job of negotiating with them but he
has to have something to work with, so leaving him no cards to play just
doesn't do.

> I am planning to implement XEmbed support as soon as Laurent's
> reworked video output is available, which could help the Mozilla/X11
> plugin (I am NOT planning to do the projects/mozilla/ part of the work
> though).

That sounds helpful.