[vlc-devel] [VLC] #2366: realloc is generally used incorrectly

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Mon May 25 18:07:11 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 06:31:09PM +0300, R?mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Guess what? JPS just introduced systematic crasher bugs while claiming to
> fix realloc() use (according to folks on IRC).

Something to document so that it can be fixed. Hear-say is worth a lot more
with the backtraces to prove it. Trac is designed to keep track of that sort
of thing with open tickets.

> If you call that "improve the code", then I'm afraid we have very much
> incompatible standards.

I didn't do any of the sort. However, I would appreciate constructive
discussion instead.

> Do you think they will be happy when we have "fixed" all the realloc()
> sites and they realize that VLC still crashes just as often (or even more
> often  actually)? I think they will be even more pissed off with us (you
> know, kind of like me with your employer)... and our code quality will
> be yet worse.

They will be happy to see us work on the issue instead of closing the ticket
and for all appearances ignoring it. I am reasonably sure of this because they
said so in the relevant ticket on their ticketing system.

You are indeed right that coming up with good quality code does require care
more than heated argument. The personal problems you still have to work out
with him instead of taking it out on all and sundry.

> > I think j-b is doing a reasonable job of negotiating with them but he has
> > to have something to work with, so leaving him no cards to play just
> > doesn't do.
>
> And I think JPS does an unreasonable job, and leaving him his trunp card to
> play will just make the situation ultimately worse.

Is that then why you closed the ticket?