[vlc-devel] Rethinking the Mac OS X GUI

Dominic Spitaler Dominic.Spitaler at gmx.at
Sun May 31 21:31:52 CEST 2009

Today I started to do some conceptual work for the new Mac OS X user
interface for VLC and noticed a thing, I think I should discuss:

	- What is VLC media player?
VLC more and more changes from a “simple” movie player, to an iTunes
like application, that offers media library organizations, etc. I
never thought of VLC as a media manager before, but I saw how much it
can already do and what will all be added this summer.

Now I've implemented all those features in my gui concepts (which
you'll see soon), but what about the people who just want a movie/
audio player? What's VLC's default behaviour? Will it import all the
files you give it, or wil it play them in a minimized playback window?
And how do I as a user decide whether I want VLC to manage my data or
not?

I think we need to answer those questions before I/we can continue to
work on the new UI.

Regards,
Dominic