[vlc-devel] Getting proper network url for bindings...

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 21:53:45 CET 2009

Hi All,

Okay for the Java bindings I figured out what I need to do. I will look into reusing the lua scripts for youtube and others. There is a luajava project for using lua scripts that the JVLC team might consider. I will look at that tonight.
If I can not directly reuse lua scripts then perhaps I will the capability in java.


--- On Tue, 11/3/09, Tony Anecito <adanecito at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Tony Anecito <adanecito at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [vlc-devel] Getting proper network url for bindings...
> To: vlc-devel at videolan.org
> Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 12:03 PM
> Hi All,
> In order to get wider response I am resending this as a
> generic issue for bindings in hope someone else in python or
> a different binding might have an answer.
> For JVLC and I suspect all the other bindings they may have
> issues using calls to view videos via http because their
> mediadescriptor objects or something similar to that are
> trying to use the url for http that a user would enter
> instead of the one that was the url preprocessed to get the
> url that will work. I discovered a while ago this was true
> for JVLC and just recently as described below for JVLC.
> I was able to verify that I can get JVLC to play the
> youtube videos by taking the location (VLC GUI label) url in
> the media information dialog and inputting that for the
> mediaplayer mediadescriptor object creation. I had to do
> this same operation for the mov files that are played via
> http. This url is what works with mediaplayer object and not
> the one the user of the vlc gui pastes into the open media
> network tab address textbox when wanting to open a network
> stream.
> That said and hopefully understood the wider scope question
> for all bindings for vlc is now what function should be
> called against the vlc code that would take the youtube url
> and return the location url that works with the
> mediadescriptor object? For youtube the exact url that the
> location textbox displays changes dynamically over time. It
> is as if the standard youtube url points to another url that
> dynamically changes over time kind of like a DNS entry
> points to a server ip that can change but the DNS entry
> abstracts that away so the user does not need to know a
> server IP. This means for usability all bindings needs to
> call a vlc function that prepossesses the url of the youtube
> url to obtain the current url that works with the media
> object.
> Hopefully the other bindings developers and someone on the
> vlc team understands what I tried to explain and can come up
> with an existing function we can use to take a url that we
> enter like a user of the gui and returns the derived url the
> mediadescriptor object needs.
> Many Thanks,
> -Tony 
> _______________________________________________
> vlc-devel mailing list
> To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options:
> http://mailman.videolan.org/listinfo/vlc-devel


More information about the vlc-devel mailing list