[vlc-devel] Need help with development

Jason Semotik jasonsemotik at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 08:10:05 CET 2009

Hi,
First of all I am very sorry for posting this on four lists. Unfortunately I
am not sure which list this would apply to so I am posting it on the ones
that i think these would be appropriate for.

I am new to video development even though i've been a developer for over 10
years (mostly on C# and some C++) but now i have a project that has heavy
amounts of video and some unique requirements. I've gone through the
videoLan.org wiki and learned as much as possible from the vlc documentation
but i still have many questions.

Here are my requirements so if any of you could tell me if this is even
possible with the vlc/vls library, or what amount of work needs to be done
to attain these goals i would greatly apprecaite it.

*Requirements:*
1) video and audio streaming to a web-based FLASH player (this is easy and
doable with vlc/vls)
2) streaming must be dynamically composed of multiple "clips" of video from
different files (MPEG 4 encoded) and potentially multiple audio files (MP3
encoded). For example, steam seconds 3 through 8 (or this could be done by
frame count or some other offset measure) from *file1.mp4* followed by
seconds 1 through 4 from a *file2.mp4* and audio seconds 0 through 9 from *
audio1.mp3*. These is then streamed (unicast) as a "new" 10 second video
with 10 seconds of audio (6 seconds from file1.mp4 and 4 seconds from *
file2.mp4*; plus 10 seconds of audio from *audio1.mp3*)
3) the clips must be joined seamlessly.  in other words, when the video
plays on the FLASH client there should be no pause/interruption between the
video clips.

this all sounds very simple in theory but it seems very dificult in
practice. Please help - i would greatly appreciate it.

regards,

jason