[vlc-devel] Qt media browser (playlist selector) reorganisation

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Nov 9 09:35:54 CET 2009

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 09:08:43 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> Discs (...) are not that useful on Linux.

It's way nicer to use than the crappy and intricate open disc menu. Really
why the hell does the user need to select the disc type?

And why the hell does the user need to know the device node of his/her
camera? The capture device panel is much nicer. Unfortunately, there is no
way to show the streaming/record wizard by default on item activation, but
I take it would not be very difficult a change.

And last, the screen capture... Oh my... to do the same thing from the open
dialog, I need to start the command line, run xwininfo, click on the target
window, find the window ID, and hmm wait there is not even support for
entering a window ID in the capture device dialog...

IMHO, the disc open should die:
 - chapter selection can be done with navigation menu,
 - no menu should simply be auto-selected when converting.

The capture open should die and be replaced by an ad-hoc dialog when a
given capture device is selected, depending on which settings are actually
applicable. Quite a bit of work though.

And I already said the network open should die months ago because it is
useless and incomprehensible.

>> Maybe something like Remote (Sources?/XX) and Local
> (Sources?/Devices?/XX)
>  - "Devices" is fine. I don't see the need to change.
>  - "Network Libraries" or "Internet Libraries" or "

Screen capture is not a device though.

I would rather keep local network (Bonjour, SAP, UPnP) separate from
Internet. And MTP is not a network device.

IMHO, it would be more natural to split it like many other vendors do:
 - My computer: media dirs, discs, screen, capture devs, MTP
 - My network: Bonjour, SAP, UPnP A/V
 - Internet: shoutcast & variants
(possibly with different names)

Or then just keep all the "My computer" stuff as top nodes - there is a
quite finite amount of them anyway - contrary to Internet playlists.