[vlc-devel] Prefer pulseaudio over alsa

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Nov 15 10:20:37 CET 2009

	Hello,

Le samedi 14 novembre 2009 22:31:20 Oren Held, vous avez écrit :
> I've seen this good patch in master, and wondered why it didn't make it
>  into 1.0 branch:
> 7c4ca246a6be1d76bca3482893d5e1b35c5c7fb9
> web:
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=commitdiff;h=7c4ca246a6be1d76bca348289
> 3d5e1b35c5c7fb9

1.1 is still far enough from release that there was plenty of time to find
potential problems. That wouldn't have been the case with 1.0-bugfix. In fact,
that patch did create at least one minor problem that was fixed quite a bit
later.

By the way, a crappy ALSA emulation would be a PulseAudio bug, not a VLC one.
In fact, I recall very well Lennart wrote an (extremely biased) article
recommending to use ALSA for general purpose Linux audio output. But he also
said and showed that he only cared abotu Gstreamer anyway, so screw mplayer,
VLC and Xine.

http://www.remlab.net/