[vlc-devel] commit: Qt4: remove proto combo from open net tab ( Rémi Denis -Courmont )

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Thu Nov 26 08:01:30 CET 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:48:38 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:38:09PM +0100, git version control wrote :
> > vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> | Wed Nov 25
22:35:23 2009 +0200| [3ae0e266205878bd66b004ee23b40b2c2433b74e] | committer:
Rémi Denis-Courmont

> > Qt4: remove proto combo from open net tab
> >
> > Now, we get the URL directly. This is much simpler and much less
> > confusing. Also a few missing network protocols.
>
> Well, I disagree.
> We already have a Ctrl+V box, if we want.
> If people want to write an URL and then select the port, they are
> screwed up now and need to add the proto and not mistake the "://"
> stuffs...
>
> I know I am in a minority, but I had to say it.

+1

It also seems to me that this commit tries to fix a non-existent
(or master-only) bug.

With VLC-1.0.3, Open Network dialog is IMHO doing the right thing:

1) it allows the user to enter only the IP address for e.g. RTP/UDP inputs
2) it also allows the user to type the full URL and accepts it just fine.

This commit seems to just remove 1), leaving the users no other choice than
to enter 'rtp://@239.1.2.5:1234' instead of just '239.1.2.5'. GUI is there
to simplify user interaction; moreover entering '@' on some national keyboards
requires a special Right-ALT sequence, of course completely different on Linux
and Win :-(

BTW, it seems only VLC requires the leading '@' before multicast addresses,
other players don't.

  With kind regards,