[vlc-devel] Can't Embed VLC in Qt4/wx on OSX with PyQt4/wx and Python Bindings

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Thu Nov 26 13:40:19 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Ho Tuan <tuan at post.harvard.edu> wrote:

> • Working with minimal_macosx, I tried to see if there were any clever ways to get the video, which was at least playing, embedded in the window. I tried using the set_nsobject() method for vlc.MediaPlayer in the python-ctypes bindings (not MediaControl) to pass it an nsview from PyQt4. I’m not sure if I’m doing it wrong, or if it’s just not possible.

The object minimal_macosx expects is of kind NSObject and should
respect the protocol:

@protocol VLCOpenGLVoutEmbedding
- (void)addVoutSubview:(NSView *)view;
- (void)removeVoutSubview:(NSView *)view;

- (void)enterFullscreen;
- (void)leaveFullscreen;

- (BOOL)stretchesVideo;
- (void)setOnTop: (BOOL)ontop; /* Do we really want that in protocol? */
@end

You can find a live example in VLCVideoView in VLCKit.framework.

So you'll have to build this custom Object.

Pierre.