[vlc-devel] Plugins license compatibility

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Fri Nov 27 12:41:14 CET 2009

Hi,

Please feel free to correct be, IANAL, but:

> - taglib meta plugin:
>   taglib requires GPL version 2.

1.6.1 seems to be LGPL-2.1 / MPL (hence isnt an issue?)

> - dirac codec plugin:
>   dirac requires GPL version 2 (but schroedinger does not).

Here dirac 1.0.2 headers seem to be MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1 (not an
issue too?)

> - access_scp access plugin:
>   libssh requires GPL version 3 (due to BSD advertisement clause).

You mean access_sftp & libssh2 here, right?
libssh2 1.2.2 copying file states a 3 clauses bsd license, hence
without the advertising clause. I suppose you mean when you link
libssh2 with openssl, but it can be built against gcrypt instead which
is lgpl afaik.

Alexis.