[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Mon Nov 30 17:44:18 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:29:47PM +0100, jpd at videolan.org wrote:
> Assuming it works correctly. ISTR some L3 switches falling back to
> broadcast when failing multicast routing. I know certain L2 switches do,
> under load, to spectacular effect.

For L2, this happens often, as not all switches implement IGMP snooping
(properly). At L3, we never seen that. Do you have real-word examples?

> If everything else is properly configured then our default doesn't
> really matter. Assuming this, however, is not sane, nor safe. In that
> light providing a default that limits the damage is the sane thing to
> do.

It doesn't limit the damage, it creates one, even with biggest routers.
It violates the current RFCs.
And it confuses users who in turn generate unnecessary support queries.
That could hardly be called sane, IMHO.

And, my memory wasn't fully correct on this issue - my colleague reminded
me that in 1.0.x, the TTL field in streaming wizard actually does nothing,
so users must visit preferences and set TTL for access output there.

   With kind regards,

        M.