[vlc-devel] How to best track vlc crashing...

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 21:36:30 CET 2009

Hi All,

I am running into an issue where vlc crashes (after starting and stopping over 5 movies when using the java bindings). I am using 1.0.4 for windows from Nov 24th and I am running on windows xp sp2. According to the jvm heap dumps generated when the crash occurs the issue is in the native or dll code.
I just fixed another interesting issue by making sure I supply command line options every time I create an instance of vlc. Seems after awhile if I use the same instance to run a different movie the movie pops out of the java canvas and by always creating a new instance of vlc via JVLC every time with the option to use directx the problem is now gone.

So what I am looking for is the best way to track down the issue. I think the best way is to create a log using the --logfile if that is working.
If so to log to the would I use:
-vvv --logfile"c:vlc.log"

Also, is there a list somewhere of all the default settings so I can make sure I use them when vlc starts up? As mentioned for some reason the settings get lost after 5 or more movies are viewed or even if I just repeatedly start/stop 4.

I am really very pleased by what vlc can do I just need resolve this crashing issue. Once I can see where the crash occurs I will try my best to figure out a solution/patch to pass on to the dev team.

Many Thanks,
-Tony