[vlc-devel] Questions regarding Windows x64 support

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Oct 3 11:21:53 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 11:24:22AM +1000, xxcv wrote :
> As you may know already, I am currently testing building vlc.git in
> 64-bits binary format on Windows, as I am typing this I feel I am all
> alone ...
You are not alone.

> I'm trying to debug and build plus build the compiler, all by myself
> retesting and report bugs to the appropriate organizations.
> What I want to ask is, do you want to support it at the source level ?
> ATM I do not see this happening.
> Although Remi has already told me that I'm wasting my time here, as no
> body seems to be working on the vlc 64-bits support for windows.
VLC for 64bits works quite fine on audio. Not much for video...

The main tasks to do are:
 - port VLC win32 to gcc4.4.1 and manage the printf mess
 - once this is done, it should be very simple to recompile everything
   in 64bits
 - port VLC to qt4.6 and then compile win32 and win64 qt versions on
   Windows (don't even try version < 4.5, it is pointless)
 - check everything.
 - understand why the hell does the video stalls most of the time

> Anyways its been a long time, and it is my time to say goodbye and farewell.
> I hope it'll be better without me having to annoying you with bugs.
It is sad to see people going...

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf