[vlc-devel] commit: strerror(errno) is not thread-safe, use %m ( R??mi Denis-Courmont )

Anthony Loiseau thannoy at actech-innovation.com
Thu Oct 8 09:58:49 CEST 2009

As expected, I found a previous discussion on this topic :)
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2007-September/034864.html
It tells about gettext.

Also, strerror man page contains two interesting sentences:
- "(The strerror_r() function) is similar to strerror(), but is thread
safe." (strerror_r: GNU extension)

- "This string must not be modified by the application, but may be
modified by a subsequent call to perror(3) or strerror()."
  (C99 do not name perror here but strerror is enough)

So right, if the standard allows the array pointed to by a strerror call
result to be modified by another call then there is no thread safety.

Thanks for having spotted me that.
_Anthony