[vlc-devel] [Patch] New audio & video filters for audio bargraph display inside video

clement chesnin clement.chesnin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 15:01:57 CEST 2009

Hi !

According to the post in the forum
(http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=56856), here is the
results of our work (Philippe Coent and Clement CHESNIN). Those two
new filters (one audio and one video) work together to display an
audio bargraph inside the output video. Messages between the two
filters are sent through the rc interface. They should work with any
already supported codecs/formats. You can find the result of the 'diff
-ruN' command between the 1.0.2 version and our modified version in
the attached file "patch_audiobargraph_091020".

Details on what the modules do and how to use them can be found in the
forum and in the long help. Here is just a basic command to use it
with the default settings :
"vlc.exe -I rc --rc-host localhost:12345 --audio-filter
audiobargraph_a --sub-filter audiobargraph_v %file_or_stream_to_play".

This version has been tested on several files and codecs and also on
live DVB-T streams (coming from French DTT) for SD & HD for video, and
2.0 & 5.1 for audio.

Please note that a 5.1 bargraph display may require a 'specific'
configuration in VLC (for instance Preferences/Audio/output
module/DirectX/speakers configuration=5.1).

If you have further questions or remarks, please let us know.

Cordially,

Clement CHESNIN.