[vlc-devel] Including proprietary codec

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Oct 24 22:34:17 CEST 2009

Le samedi 24 octobre 2009 05:44:08 Venu Vemulapally, vous avez écrit :
>      I want to insert a proprietary code in to VLC for our purpose. Could
> you please suggest me which modules we need to be changed?

You don't need to change anything. Just create a new "codec" plugin with a
priority higher than the normal plugin(s) for the same codec. Alternatively,
remove the normal codec plugin(s). Most codecs are stored in modules/codec/
currently.

Note however that VLC is currently GPL-licensed. So you cannot insert
proprietary code directly in VLC. Unless you don't redistribute the software
to anyone, you will need to write an open-source plugin/layer between the
proprietary shared object (DSP driver?) and the VLC core.

http://www.remlab.net/