[vlc-devel] commit: Blacklist glibc 2.10-2.10.1 for 686 ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Oct 26 18:40:12 CET 2009

Le mercredi 21 octobre 2009 22:21:25 Rémi Denis-Courmont, vous avez écrit :

> I only tested eglibc 2.10.1 but it most likely affects kosher glibc 2.10 &
> 2.10.1 as well.

Turns out to be a bug between GNU/libc 686 optimizations and GCC 4.4. If you
have this combination, VLC may crash pseudo-randomly. The problem seems to
mostly affect simultaneous multithreading CPUs (SM*T*, not SM*P*), as did the
earlier 2.5-2.7 gettext problems in fact.

I guess Debian will fix or work around the problem, as they did with gettext.
But I wouldn't be so sure about other (less careful) distros.

http://www.remlab.net/