[vlc-devel] Mozilla plugin resize

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Mon Oct 26 18:42:12 CET 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 07:12:26PM +0200, R?mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le lundi 26 octobre 2009 19:07:53 jpd at videolan.org, vous avez ?crit :
> > On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 06:37:48PM +0200, R?mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > > Le lundi 26 octobre 2009 18:05:38 Jean-Paul Saman, vous avez ?crit :
> > >
> > > IMHO, overriding someone's else From field is bad.
> >
> > Tricky question. Comes down to "who authored the fixed patch?"
> > If you want to argue this you need more than a black-or-white one-liner.
>
> So you're claiming that someone who fixed typo in a patch deserves a
> mention in the Author line?
>
> If you really care about authoring infos on your typo fix, apply them
> as separate patches (but this would be really ridiculous).

Strictly speaking the direct alternative is impersonating the original
author, which is equally bad. Either way you're fudging.

I'm not with you on the ridiculous: There are plenty of commits that are
exactly that: Typo fixes. What we usually do instead is point out the
typo and ask for a resubmit. That saves a commit but costs at least two
emails.

There are two more sensible ways to do it: You could take the From: line
but add an Inspired-By: or an Original-By:, you note the proceedings
in the commit message, or you could leave the From: line and add a
Signed-Off-By: with a note that you fixed a typo. Personally I'd favour
the latter on cases sufficiently similar to this one.

So I'm claiming exactly what I said. If you want to argue, argue.