[vlc-devel] commit: l10n: Initial Walloon translation ( Ga??tan Rousseaux )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Oct 31 23:07:50 CET 2009

Le samedi 31 octobre 2009 23:07:24 jpd at videolan.org, vous avez écrit :
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 08:06:01PM +0100, git version control wrote:
> > vlc | branch: 1.0-bugfix | Ga??tan Rousseaux <garousseau at voo.be> | [...]
> >
> > l10n: Initial Walloon translation
> >
> > Not activated yet as only ~5% translated
>
> I was wondering: Wouldn't it be a good idea to use the french
> translation as a basis for this one, updating it to more specific
> walloon as you go?

Sounds like a bad idea. First, that scheme would only work the first time, and
fail miserably if the French localization is updated. Second, it would
obfuscate which strings was translated and which wasn't.

Of course, you can question the usefulness of dialectal localizations. They
take up disk space for typically tiny minorities for everybody. Among those
minorities, people might not even know they can get VLC in their language.
Those translations are usually not kept as up-to-date as mainstream ones. And
last, they make VLC linguistically inconsistent with the rest of the system -
most probably that is translated in a more mainstream language (e.g. one
supported by Red Hat/Canonical/Apple/Microsoft/...) if not in English.

Of course, I don't have any statistics, let alone accurate ones, except for
that one: ISO 639-3 has 7704 languages.  So I won't propose a policy on this.
But that's what it comes down to... language politics.

http://www.remlab.net/