[vlc-devel] commit: contrib: turn off Thumb ISA for libavcodec and libmad ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Sep 1 21:38:30 CEST 2009

Le mardi 1 septembre 2009 22:23:08 Måns Rullgård, vous avez écrit :
> You're probably hitting Cortex-A8 erratum 657417, which can cause
> random crashes in Thumb mode.  It can be worked around by the
> compiler/linker, though I don't remember whether any gcc version has
> this capability.  CodeSourcery 2007q3 certainly doesn't, since this
> bug was discovered in early 2009.  Recent releases of ARM RVCT do have
> the workaround.

Might well be.

> You can check if this is the problem by forcing single-issue.  You
> will need to mess with u-boot to do this though.  Let me know if you
> want help with that.

FYI, N900 uses NOLO ("Nokia Loader") as do all previous Nokia Nxxx Internet
tablets, not uboot.

> > * FFMPEG triggers a segmentation fault when NEON FPU is enabled.
> > -> FFMPEG with "default" FPU and VLC with NEON FPU works
> >    (but surely not so fast).
> > This smells a lot like a bug in avcodec (or gcc).
>
> FFmpeg is thoroughly tested on Cortex-A8 with multiple compiler
> versions.  Can you explain more in detail what you did when it failed?

I just started decoding MPEG4 Part 2 (in MKV with AAC) or Part 10 (in AVI with
MP3). Disabling video decoding worked around it. VLC did not use FFMPEG for
MKV, AVI, AAC nor MP3. It fails immediately, as far as I can tell.

> > This is all built with CodeSourcery 2007q3 ARMv7 toolchain (GCC 4.2.1).
>
> Did you force any non-default compiler flags?

I used -mtune=cortex-a8 -mcpu=cortex-a8 -march=arvm7-a -mfpu=neon -ftree-
vectorize . The crash vanishes when removing -mfpu=neon. I also got the same
results without vectorization.

http://www.remlab.net/