[vlc-devel] commit: ARM: pretend not lack the FPU even if we have one ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Sep 6 20:32:16 CEST 2009

Le dimanche 6 septembre 2009 21:07:35 Måns Rullgård, vous avez écrit :
> I don't know exactly what effect this commit has in VLC.  If it simply
> gives priority to fixed-point implementations over floating-point,
> that's fine and probably correct for now (Cortex-A9 will change all
> this).  If it means using floating-point emulation, it's probably not
> so good.

Whether to use soft or hard float is a matter of compiler settings.
This flag just tells interested pieces that float should be avoided.
Basically, the audio pipeline will run in fixed-point mode. If the audio codec
provides no fixed-point support, VLC will at least convert to fixed-point
before filtering and output (to PulseAudio).

If you know how to run-time detect A9 processors, we can add a check. But I
daresay those aren't on my radar at the moment.

http://www.remlab.net/