[vlc-devel] http interface: error in parsing .hosts file

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Tue Sep 8 04:11:26 CEST 2009

Hi VLC devs,

When the http interface code reads my .hosts file, if it does not find
an eol character at the end of the file, it will choke with "skipping
overly long line":

main debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
http debug: base :8080
main info: creating httpd
main debug: net: listening to  port 8080
http debug: dir=C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\\http
main debug: find .hosts in dir=C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\\http\.hosts
main debug: restricted to 127.0.0.1
main warning: skipping overly long line in C:\Program
Files\VideoLAN\VLC\\http\.hosts
http error: cannot find any file in directory C:\Program
Files\VideoLAN\VLC\\http
main debug: waitpipe: object killed
main debug: HTTP host removed
main debug: no hosts left, stopping httpd
main warning: no interface module matching "http,none" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 3.000 ms - Total 3.000 ms / 1 intvls
(Avg 3.000 ms)
main error: no suitable interface module
main error: interface "http" initialization failed

On both XP and Vista, Windows' notepad does not save files with an end
of line character, so I have to leave at least one blank line at the
bottom of my .hosts file.

(I'd post a bug to trac, but it's currently offline...)

- Ken