[vlc-devel] commit: Added picture_pool_NewExtended. (Laurent Aimar )

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Tue Sep 8 09:18:43 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2009, at 11:05 PM, "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <remi at remlab.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Le lundi 7 septembre 2009 23:57:52 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez écrit
>> :
>>> In this case NewWithConfiguration seems more appropriate. And
>>> "configuration" should  probably be "callback".
>>
>> Do you really need to invent the longest possible names all the time?
>
> You are just saying, that short is good. And I do agree.
>
> However someone new to the code will appreciate meaningful and clear
> name.   I am always open to better suggestion.
>
> Also, if you want to put it that way, Extended is a waste of 8 chars.
>
> I am concerned about this "lazy" way to extend existing API. And it
> shouldn't be considered as a good practice, even if it's a common one.
> Will you end up with an ExtendedExtended if you want a more specialized
> call?
 No, picture_pool_configuration_t simply need to be extended.

> Generally the extended and non extend should be merged, or just renamed.
 I prefer to have 2 functions:
 - one that will allow to be extended easily. picture_pool_NewExtended will do,
it just a matter of extending picture_pool_configuration_t.
 - one that is easy to use (and it is the common use case), picture_pool_New.

--
fenrir