[vlc-devel] AC3 3F1R downmix to stereo (simple downmixer)

James Turner zakalawe at mac.com
Tue Sep 8 11:46:13 CEST 2009

I've encountered a problem where AC3 3F1R is being down-mixed to
stereo incorrectly - VLC is selecting the 'trivial_mixer' instead of
the 'simple_mixer', and hence discarding the centre channel, which
happens to contain all the dialogue for the content in question.

This is occurring with 1.0.1 on both Mac and Windows (tested under
VMWare).

 From browsing the source code to the simple mixer, I think this is a
straightforward case of the channel layout in question (left/right/
centre/centre-rear) not being supported by the downmix code. The
attached patch adds support to the simple downmixer - it works great
for me, but I'm not 100% confident on the scaling factors applied to
the sample values, and would welcome some advice there.