[vlc-devel] muxers and streaming

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Sep 10 15:58:59 CEST 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:22:25 +0200, Sébastien Escudier
<sebastien-devel at celeos.eu> wrote:
> In the vod module, I noticed that if no muxer is specified, we are using
> the one from the file.
> So if it's an MP4 file, we will stream RTP with MP4 muxer.
>
> But on this page, I see that only TS, PS and RAW are supported :
> http://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html
>
> So should we restrict the VOD server to these 3 muxers, and default to TS
> ?

I find it questionable that the muxer should be automatic for VoD (RTSP) at
all. IMHO, it should only be automatic selected for the #standard sout
plug-in. Nowadays, RTP does not that anymore, so the issue would be moot.

But otherwise, yes, we should not allow muxers that are not supported over
RTP.