[vlc-devel] win32 mozilla plug-in crash in every 1.1 build from nightly.videolan.org

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 10:24:32 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Michael A. Puls II <shadow2531 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I mentioned on IRC a while ago that the mozilla plug-in in the VLC 1.1 git
> win32 binaries from http://nightly.videolan.org/ crashes on WinXP (PIII)
> with:
>
> Microsoft VisualC++ Runtime Library
>
> The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
>
> I tried with windbg to see what the problem is, but didn't figure out
> anything. All I could tell is that the crash happens right after the plug-in
> loads all the modules.
>
> Well, I've been checking the builds all the time and the problem is still
> there in each build. <
> http://nightly.videolan.org/build/win32/trunk-20090910-2205/vlc-1.1.0-git-20090910-2205-win32.exe>
> for example.
>
> I did find one extra thing just now. <embed type="application/x-vlc-plugin"
> src="" width="400" height="400"> will cause the crash, but removing src=""
> stops it from crashing.
>
> Another way to make it crash is to just load a media file in the address
> field that invokes the plug-in.
>
> It crashes in Firefox, Safari and Opera. The 1.0.x builds work fine though.
>
> Are the 1.1 binaries built for a certain processor or something or do they
> require some runtime libs that I don't have?

The 1.1 binaries are development releases and might be unstable. Currently
the libvlc API in 1.1 is in flux and this breaks the webplugins for the
development releases. Once the libvlc API stabilizes a bit more the
webplugins will be updated to take advantage of the revamped libvlc API.
Untill then the webplugins might be unstable.

If you need a stable webplugin then I advice to use the official releases
1.0.x binaries.

Gtz
Jean-Paul Saman.