[vlc-devel] buffering issue with vlc-1.0.1

Sébastien Escudier sebastien-devel at celeos.eu
Fri Sep 11 14:41:56 CEST 2009

Quoting Rahul K Patel <rahulk.patel at einfochips.com>:

> I tried with vlc server but in that case I was not able do seek on vlc
> client.
> Do I need to specify any option while running vlc server for seek support?
> Or my input file format should be something specific?
>
> Please provide me steps or link to run vlc server and test seek on vlc
> client side.

Your file should be MP4 format (no matter the codec, but MP4 muxer).
And you have to send it whith TS muxing.

Open vlc with :

vlc -I telnet --rtsp-host your_ip:port

Then open a telnet connection on 4212 port and type these commands :
new test vod
setup test input your_mp4_file
setup test mux mp2t
setup test enabled

Finally, you can play your file with another vlc and this address :
rtsp://your_ip:port/test

The only issue I have is that the seek bar in vlc interface does not move after
seeking.

You can also try live555 rtsp server :
http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/transport-stream-trick-play.html

Vlc and seek bar are working fine in this case.

Regards,

Seb.