[vlc-devel] Missing ISO6937 support in some OSes

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Sat Sep 12 08:12:23 CEST 2009

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:41:15 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:37:03 +0200, "Marian Ďurkovič" <md at bts.sk> wrote:
> > It's far easier to have inhouse function for this, which will surely work
> > for all setups and wouldn't eventually require maintenance with every new
> > libiconv version. I already sent working code for this.
>
> With that logic, we'll reimplement ALL character sets we use iconv for.
> Depending on the target, you can really get _anything_. Especially on
> embedded devices, iconv is often limited if not a plain dumb stub.

ISO6937 is way different than other common 8bit charsets (special composing
sequences).

> IMHO, it's far more difficult to do something than do nothing.

That's wrong example. It's about spending X-times more developing time on fixing
just a fraction of the problem. BTW, I suspect MAC users will have the same
problem at least in some installations.

  With kind regards,

     M.