[vlc-devel] Missing ISO6937 support in some OSes

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Sat Sep 12 13:14:18 CEST 2009

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:51:32 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote
> Le samedi 12 septembre 2009 09:12:23 Marian Ďurkovič, vous avez
> écrit :

> > > With that logic, we'll reimplement ALL character sets we use iconv for.
> > > Depending on the target, you can really get _anything_. Especially on
> > > embedded devices, iconv is often limited if not a plain dumb stub.
> >
> > ISO6937 is way different than other common 8bit charsets (special composing
> > sequences).
>
> Yeah. That's precisely why we should not have our own duplicated
> implementation in the VLC tree, when we could push it to iconv.

What kind of exercise is this?!

EPG p/f info updates Now Playing field and hence is displayed in VLC status
line, in the window title and in OSD. It's visible to all users at first look.

Do you really want to release next VLC version which will display lots of
question marks in all those places on multiple operating systems ???? Win32 is
not the only one affected, thus even if someone fixes the win32 contrib, it
wouldn't make the problem disappear.

   M.