[vlc-devel] 1.0+ for powerpc-apple-darwin8?

Andre-John Mas ajmas at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 13 16:43:29 CEST 2009

Hi,

Support for older OSs was dropped with version 1.0 of VLC. There are a
number of reasons, generally based on functionality available in the
newer OSs not being available in the older versions of the OSs. While
support could be added, development focus has been put into supporting
the newer version of MacOS X, partly because of the limited number of
VLC MacOS developers and partly because this is what most users will
be running. Also, there is going to be increasing focus on 64-bit
support, so this is yet another reason.

I believe I also read on the mailing-list that certain 'ifdefs'
allowing support for versions of MacOS X before 10.5 were being
removed. I'd have to check the archives, or let one of the developers
confirm this.

André-John