[vlc-devel] commit: EPG: Catch a replace EIT-coded CR/LFs ( Marian Ďurkovič )

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Mon Sep 14 20:31:32 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 09:03:21PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> > >  I disagree with it. The CR/LF helps to present texts. Now if it is a
> > > display bug of qt4, it probably should be changed directly in qt4 and
> > > not at a so low level.
> >
> > This commit solves another problem. The spec says, CR/LF is encoded not
> > as CR/LF, but as 0x8A. After conversion to UTF-8, it's 0xC2 0x8A. Such
> > sequence is bogus and can not be left untouched.
>
> Are you sure all the supported character sets include the ISO-8859 extended
> control characters? If not, \x8A might not be understood as U+008A.
>
> It sounds like we should simply convert \x86 to \n _before_ iconv().

I have considered that. But replacing every \x86 in a multibyte charset
is not possible. After iconv(), 0xC2 0x8A is what we get for all ISO8859
variants, as well as for ISO6937 and UTF-8 of course.

As for converting to \n : it looks terrible in QT intf. It messes up the
treeview and you'll get those texts interleaved with start dates, sometimes
you get 2 emptylines etc. Unless someone reworks the GUI, I'd propose to
keep it like this, i.e one entry per line and CR/LF replaced by spaces.
We can change this anytime later.

   With kind regards,

       M.